Fredericton Military Compound
Corner of Queen and Carleton Streets
Built between 18278 and the 1870s. The Military Compound Board was declared a National Historic Site in 1964, and in 1965 was designated by the Province of New Brunswick as a protected Provincial Historical Site.
The Militia Arms Store, the only wooden structure of the original four to be found on the Military Compound, was built in 1832 to house military weapons and ammunition for the Royal New Brunswick Regiment. In 1882, a rear addition renovated the building for use as a Military Hospital. It has also been used as a liquor warehouse, temperance hall, and caretaker's residence for the adjacent armories.
Tours are unavailable.
Changing of the Guard Ceremony
Officers Square at corner or Regent and Queen Streets
Watch the colorful ceremonial guards re-enact the Changing of the Guard with two ceremonies each day and guard changes every hour. Full Inspection Ceremonies are held in July and August, Tuesday through Saturday at 11am and 7pm. Free.
Guard House and Soldiers Barracks
Queen Street & Carleton Street
British troops were garrisoned here from 1784 until 1869. A bronze plaque honours the 104th Regiment, which from February to April of 1813 made a 680-mile, 52-day march to Quebec and Kingston. After a disastrous fire destroyed the original wooden Guard House and Cells and 9 other buildings in 1929, the newly built three-storey stone Guard House housed the 12 men in the 1st Battalion of the Rifle Brigade. The soldiers drew either Night Guard or Day Guard at least twice a month and on time off, were permitted to rest (in his full kit) on a Guard Bed of hard planks covered with a thin straw pallaise (mattress). The restored Guard Room looks as it did in 1866, when the 15th Regiment used the muskets, uniforms and equipment on display. The Cell Block originally contained seven cells - windowless stone and brick cubicles with a 10 inches diameter air-hole in the outer wall. In 1847, the Cell Block was modified to contain five enlarged cells, barred windows and an escape-proof ventilation system. The Guard House is open early June to Labour Day (l0 am to 6 pm) and tours are conducted by a guide wearing the red-coated uniform of the old British l5th Regiment. Special evening tours (for groups) can be arranged by calling in advance. Admission is free.
Queen Street & York St
In 1827, a 34 x 37 foot Military Hospital was part of old Fredericton Military Compound, and had four six-bed wards constructed in stone. In 1875, the hospital and accessory building were removed, and replaced by the Provincial Normal School, which was destroyed by fire in 1929, but was rebuilt. When a new Teachers' College was built on the University of New Brunswick campus in 1965, the old building served as part of Fredericton High. In 1970, the building was remodelled to house law courts and renamed the Justice Building. Tours are unavailable.
The Justice Building contains three additional points of interest:
Corner Queen St & St Anne's Point
This square was the centre of military activity when the British Army garrisoned Fredericton from 1785 to 1869, and the Canadian Army from 1883 to 1914. During the summer, the square hosts the city's Summer Music Series, the Changing of the Guard Ceremony, and daily Outdoor Theatre.
The park is adorned with a bronze statue of Lord Beaverbrook, which was erected in 1957, while he was still alive. Lord Beaverbrook was bor William Maxwell Aitken in Maple Ontario, but grew up in New Brunswick, studied law at Dalhouise university, got involved with politics and went to England in 1910 to work with Andrew Bonar Law, the only Canadian-born British Prime Minister. In 1916, he received the title of Lord Beaverbrook, and was the Minister or Aircraft Production in World War II, and built a publishing empire built around London's Daily Express. Over the years he made many significant contributions to the Province, including the Beaverbrook Art Gallery, the Playhouse, the Lady Beaverbrook Rink, and at the University of New Brunswick the Beaverbrook Residence and the Lady Beaverbrook Gymnasium.