Okanagan-Shuswap, British Columbia on TransCanadaHighway.com
Here are some quick suggestions for visitors with limited time in the area: The schedule is only a suggestion -- you may have more fun, or wish to take more time than mentioned below.
Shuswap Lake Image Gallery
One Day Stay
To capture the essence of this city, here are suggestions for your first day (especially if its your only day) in the Okanagan. Starting at the northern end, here are the things you should make an effort to see:
- Sicamous, the narrows that join Shuswap and Mara Lake, home to hundreds of houseboats
- Kalamalka Lake Lookout, just south of Vernon has a great view of this beautiful lake
- Without picking favourites, stop at any of the 20 wineries in the valley. All offer free samples (to those over 19) and many offer tours. The first is Grey Monk, beetween Vernon and Kelowna, and you'll see them every few miles down to the US border.
- Kelowna's City Park, downtown just east of the Floating Bridge offers great waterfront views and a pretty downtown shopping district on Bernard Street.
- Knox Mountain Park, north of downtown on Ellis Street, offers great views up and down the Lake.
- Giant's Head Mountain, just above the town of Summerland, looks like a Giant's Head, and has a road and then a short hiking trail to the top
- Penticton's Okanagan Beach, Main Street shopping district, and Skaha Beach on the south of town are a tight visual feast for visitors. (There are several wineries north of Penticton on the eastern shore of Okanagan Lake.)
- If you have time left, be sure to head down to Osoyoos, just north of the USA border, to see the only true desert in Canada, and a banana tree orchard!
- From here you would catch the Number 3 highway, either heading east through the Crowsnest Pass into Alberta or west through Manning Park into the Lower Mainland.
A Longer Stay
If you are able to spend more time in the area, there are many things to see and do, depending on your interests. Check out all the Okanagan Area Attractions, organized by category or each of the communities.
History of the Trans-Canada Highway from Kamloops to Revelstoke
Thompson River, Shuswap Lake & Lake Okanagan Towns Map
Shuswap lake & Salmon Arm Attractions & Accommodation Map
Okangaan-Shuswap Accommodation & Attractions
Here are a featured SAMPLING of hotels, motels, long-term accommodation, vacation rentals, lodges and campgrounds. For a complete (and searchable listing) use the red SEARCH feature at right.
Accommodations Directory Listings
Here are some of the hotels, motels, campgrounds, and lodges/cottages to be found along the Trans Canada Highway:
Welcome to our home your home away from home ®. Stay in the grd flr. 1100 sq’ Rose Arbor Vacation Ste. (sleeps up to 4), priv. bedroom w/king bed, 4pce bathroom, familyroom w/pullout sofa bed. Enjoy grapevine cov. patio & gardens at rear - Welcome!
A family vacation center, offering a full selection of accommodations from rustic cabins to full service RV camping sites, luxurious condos, and fully equipped light housekeeping houses.
122 unit hotel features an indoor tropical courtyard, new 10,00 square foot conference center. One of the finest restaurants in Kamloops, in Forsters. Suites, queen beds, hot tub, sauna, indoor pool, whirlpool, beer & wine store.No pets.
Convenient location with 26 airconditioned units with Sealy Posturepedic beds, kitchenettes, microwaves, free local calls. Poolside patio with shaded lawn and gas barbecues. Small pets $5/night; CP 2 days
Visit our boutique inn tucked away in Kamloops' Thompson Valley and experience our friendly staff and unique charm. Book a room at 250-573-3777.
TransCanadaHighway.com has lots of hotels,mnotels, beds & breakfast, long-term accommoodtion, and comprgrounds to choose form in and around Okanagan-Shuswap.
Attractions Directory Listings
Here are some of the attractions, museums, historical sites, and sports activities to be found along the Trans Canada Highway:
We boast a fantastic food menu, with our famous chicken wings, 11 premium draught beers, and a spectacular view of Red Mountain.
Today the elephant has grown into a 6,000 case winery driven to craft wines of character. Wines that sing with the unconventional voice of vanguard fruit.
This is the oldest and newest estate winery in B.C. In 1978, Chateau John de Trepanier received British Columbia's first license for a winery committed to making 100 percent B.C. wines, which explains its name, First Estate Cellars.
This Place is waiting for you… You'll find a Place with a magnificent view across the city and the joining rivers. A Place where flowing greens follow the natural contours of the Kamloops mountainside, offering a totally different and chall
Calliope is a full line of easy sipping, fruit-forward wines, designed to pair with casual lunches on the patio, or with contemporary cuisine.
TransCanadaHighway.com has lots of attractions, festivals, tours, and things to see & do in and around Okanagan-Shuswap.
If your local area business is not already here or in the FoundLocally.com directory (try the SEARCH box at the top), and you would like to be featured (randomly), add yourself to the Free Listings!
Be found on FoundLocally.com AND TransCanadaHighway
Add Free Listing