Arnprior, Ontario on the Trans-Canada Highway
This town (also known locally as "the Prior") is the gateway to the Ottawa Valley, and was originally a lumbering village at the mouth of the Madawaska River. The area is now known for its plentiful fishing and hunting.
The town was named in 1831 for a town in Stirlinglshire, Scotland (north of Glasgow), the birthplace of local area settlers, the brothers George and ANdrew Buchanan. The brothers were persuaded by their cousin, Archibald NcNab, to build mills on the mouth of the madawaska RIver.
Arnprior & District Museum
35 Madawaska St
Located in the 1896 post office building, this museum displays the development of early lumber industry in the Ottawa Valley during the 19th century. Photographs, pioneer and Indian artifacts round out the displays. Open June to mid-Sept Tues-Fri non-5pm, Sat-Sun 1pm to 4 pm. Allow 30 minutes. Admission: adults $2, students $2 under 5 free, families $4
Fulton's Pancake House and Sugar Bush
RR1, No 291, 6th Concession Rd, Pakenham K0A 2X0 (south of Arnprior)
Cedar Hill Side Road, of Country Rd 29 between Almonte and Pakenham
613-256-3867 fax; 613-256-2624 1-888-538-5866
This 400 hectare sugar bush, owned by its fifth generation, is a perfect place to enjoy the spring maple syrup run and the fall colours. Nature trails, kids playground, dining room, and maple gift shop. Free admission, except for special activities. Open all year for pre-booked groups, Mar-April and Sept-October for general public. 10 am to 4 pm.
Box 190 Pakenham K0A 2X0
Highway 17 to Antrim turnoff, Highway 15 to Pakenham to McWatty Road for 2 km
613-624-5290 fax: 613-624-5612 1-800-665-7405
Full service family ski and snowboard park, with a 100 metre vertical. Also, 20 km of cross-country trails.