Quebec City's Religious Attractions on TransCanadaHighway.com
Quebec City has a number of churches, religious museums and shrines that help visitors enjoy Quebec:
Cyclorama de Jérusalem (Jerusalem Diorama)
8, rue Régina
Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré, QC G0A 3C0
(418) 827-3101, Fax: (418) 827-8279
The cyclorama of Jerusalem features the biggest panoramic display in the world. This gigantic work of art, was created in Germany between 1878 and 1882 and measures 14 metres in height (45 feet) and 110 metres in circumference (365 feet). It creates an extraordinary, 1,540 square metre (15,400 square feet) illusion creates the impression that visitors are in Jerusalem to witness the crucifixion. This spiritual voyage to biblical times lets you see the entire city with 80 kilometres (48 miles) of countryside to the north, east, south and west, from the observation gallery. French and English narration, with special Russian, Italian, Japanese, Spanish, German, Portuguese, Arabic and Mandarin narration upon prior reservation. Continuous show with digital sound. Open: May to the end of October, every day, from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. July and August, every day from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Entrance fee: adults: $7, children (6 to 16 years): $4, (6 years and under), free. Special rates for groups of 20 or more persons.
Maison des Jésuites de Sillery, Historical Monument
2320, chemin du Foulon
Sillery, QC G1T 1X4
(418) 654-0259, Fax: (418) 654-0991
Founded in 1637, the Sillery mission has encountered iroquian attacks, epidemics and a major fire. The Maison des Jésuites is the third house built on that site, around 1730, and relates the first contact between the Native Indians and the New France missionaries. Later, after the British conquest, the home has accommodated members of the English elite including Frances Brooke, author of the first romance novel written in Canada. Exhibits include archeological artifacts of 3000 years of human presence, from the Amerindian occupation to the industrial revolution.
Musée des Ursulines de Québec (Ursaline Nun Museum)
12, rue Donnacona
Québec, QC G1R 4T1
(418) 694-0694, Fax: (418) 694-2136
Facing the Ursulines' chapel, the museum occupies a building erected in 1836, which is superimposed over the little house built in 1644 by Madame de la Peltrie, the Ursulines' benefactress. The permanent exhibition is one of the richest ethnographic and artistic collections from the French Regime, including aintings, sculptures, embroideries, engravings, archive documents, furniture, decorative art objects, and Amerindian handcrafts. Other exhibits cover: the arrival of the Ursulines in 1639 anf their daily life, the evangelization of Amerindian girls, the education of girls in the seventeenth century, and liturgical ornaments embroidered with gold and silver thread by the Ursulines of Québec City in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. Open: May to September, Tuesday to Saturday, 10 a.m. to noon and 1 p.m. to 5 p.m., Sunday, 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.; October to April, 1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Closed on Mondays. Closed in December and January except for groups with reservation. Entrance fees: adults, $6; senior citizens, $5; students (17 and over on presentation of their card), $4; children (12 to 16), $3; under 12, free. Groups with reservation: adults, $5; senior citizens, $4; student groups, $3,50. Guided tours in French and English, all year long, reservation required
Notre-Dame de Québec Basilica-Cathedral
20, rue De Buade
Québec, QC G1R 4A1
(418) 694-0665, Fax: (418) 692-5860
The parish of Notre-Dame is the oldest in North America, and the Cathedrals built on this site since 1647, have been destroyed twice by fire, and has four governors of New France and the bishops of Québec buried in the crypt. . The Cathedral is richly decorated with baldaquin, canopy, episcopal throne dais, stained-glass windows, paintings, chancel lamp (a gift from Louis XIV). François de Laval, Québec's first bishop is buried in the Cathedral. Guided tours from May to October, and upon reservation the rest of the year.
Shrine of Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré
10018, avenue Royale
Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré, QC G0A 3C0
(418) 827-3781, Fax: (418) 827-8771
The Shrine of Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré is the most oldest pilgrimage destination in North America.
Site historique de la Visitation
801, route de l'Église, coin chemin Sainte-Foy
(418) 641-6043, Fax: (418) 641-6553
The ruins on the site of two Notre-Dame-de-Foy parish churches, located in the heart of old Sainte-Foy, have been turned into a public park. Great views from the observation tower, where the steeple once stood. Parking. Open: mid-May to end of October, in the afternoon and early evening. Concerts and exhibitions are occasionally presented here. Free admission.
Spectacle Son et Lumière Feux Sacrés (Heavenly Lights )
20, rue de Buade
Québec, QC G1R 4A1
(418) 694-4000, Fax: (418) 694-4001
Heavenly Lights spans 500 years of history, with fascinating tales of the faith and courage of the people who built Québec, as well as the history of the spectacular Notre-Dame de Québec Basilica-Cathedral which, like the Phoenix, has always risen from its ashes. Heavenly Lights is an historic multimedia fresco with sound and light effects in the unique setting of the Cathedral. The 30 minute show rusn English and French versions simultaneously. Schedule: Monday- Friday 15:30, 16:30, 17:30, 18:30, 19:30, 20:30 Saturday and Sunday 18:30, 19:30 and 20:30 from May to October.
Vieux Presbytère de Deschambault
117, rue St-Joseph
Deschambault, QC G0A 1S0
(418) 286-6891, Fax: (418) 286-3503
The Vieux presbytère historic monument is a rectory that was built in 1815 on cap Lauzon, overlooking the St. Lawrence River, and is as important an institution to a village as the church, convent, city hall, people's hall and general store. This site features exhibits integrating contemporary art into traditional architecture.The interpretive centre is open mid-June to the beginning of September daily from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m, with reservations required for the remainder of the year.
Blue = Trans-Canada Route| Green = bicycle friendly scenic route | red = downtown detour from TCH
|Use mouse to drag/move map. Click on "+" or "-" to zoom in or out. "Satellite" shows photo, "Hybrid" combines map & photo.|