Okanagan-Shuswap, British Columbia Visitors Tips
Here are some quick suggestions for visitors with limited time in the area: The schedule is only a suggestion -- you may have more fun, or wish to take more time than mentioned below.
Shuswap Lake Image Gallery
One Day Stay
To capture the essence of this city, here are suggestions for your first day (especially if its your only day) in the Okanagan. Starting at the northern end, here are the things you should make an effort to see:
- Sicamous, the narrows that join Shuswap and Mara Lake, home to hundreds of houseboats
- Kalamalka Lake Lookout, just south of Vernon has a great view of this beautiful lake
- Without picking favourites, stop at any of the 20 wineries in the valley. All offer free samples (to those over 19) and many offer tours. The first is Grey Monk, beetween Vernon and Kelowna, and you'll see them every few miles down to the US border.
- Kelowna's City Park, downtown just east of the Floating Bridge offers great waterfront views and a pretty downtown shopping district on Bernard Street.
- Knox Mountain Park, north of downtown on Ellis Street, offers great views up and down the Lake.
- Giant's Head Mountain, just above the town of Summerland, looks like a Giant's Head, and has a road and then a short hiking trail to the top
- Penticton's Okanagan Beach, Main Street shopping district, and Skaha Beach on the south of town are a tight visual feast for visitors. (There are several wineries north of Penticton on the eastern shore of Okanagan Lake.)
- If you have time left, be sure to head down to Osoyoos, just north of the USA border, to see the only true desert in Canada, and a banana tree orchard!
- From here you would catch the Number 3 highway, either heading east through the Crowsnest Pass into Alberta or west through Manning Park into the Lower Mainland.
A Longer Stay
If you are able to spend more time in the area, there are many things to see and do, depending on your interests. Check out all the Okanagan Area Attractions, organized by category or each of the communities.
History of the Trans-Canada Highway from Kamloops to Revelstoke
Thompson River, Shuswap Lake & Lake Okanagan Towns Map
Shuswap lake & Salmon Arm Attractions & Accommodation Map
Okangaan-Shuswap Accommodation & Attractions
Here are a featured SAMPLING of hotels, motels, long-term accommodation, vacation rentals, lodges and campgrounds. For a complete (and searchable listing) use the red SEARCH feature at right.
Accommodations Directory Listings
Here are some of the hotels, motels, campgrounds, and lodges/cottages to be found along the Trans Canada Highway:
AAA 3 diamonds, with 38 heated/air-conditioned rooms, queen size beds, located on Trans -Canada Highway. Joey's Only full service r seafood restaurant open 11:00 to 22:00
At Fortune Motel our rooms have been recently renovated with new furnishings and fixtures providing our guests with a clean, comfortable, modern environment. Our room prices, however are still affordable.
Stay our our wonderful campground, and enjoy the great outdoors… see our website for details
Spacious Luxury Suite, Kitchen, 3pc bathroom, Laundry, Fireplace, Flat Screen HD TV, Free WiFi, Queen Size Bed, Large Private Deck, BBQ, Firepit for Guest use. Parking Available. Complimentary bottle of wine and bedside chocolates
Ranked among the Top Waterfront Hotels in Canada Spectacular lakefront property in downtown Kelowna, with health club, European spa, pool, florist, babysitting, para-sailing, float plane tours. 390 guest rooms, villas and suites
TransCanadaHighway.com has lots of hotels,mnotels, beds & breakfast, long-term accommoodtion, and comprgrounds to choose form in and around Okanagan-Shuswap.
Attractions Directory Listings
Here are some of the attractions, museums, historical sites, and sports activities to be found along the Trans Canada Highway:
The Lumby Golf Club has been in operation for 50 years and is still run by volunteers and this year has a membership of approximately 30 members.
As B.C.’s first operating estate winery, our goal has been to take the finest grapes from the Southern Okanagan Valley and craft them into delicious wines you’ll be proud to serve at your table.
With five vineyards & 85 acres under vine all in the Southern Okanagan. Desert Hills is situated in the finest grape growing region in Canada. We have three vineyards on the famous Black Sage Bench, one vineyard near Penticton & one in Osoyoos.
Great cars. Great rates. Great Srvice. Hertz is the preferred car rental company of CAA. Free customer pickup & return, Unlimited km rates. One-way rentals. daily, weekly, weekend rates.
TransCanadaHighway.com has lots of attractions, festivals, tours, and things to see & do in and around Okanagan-Shuswap.
If your local area business is not already here or in the FoundLocally.com directory (try the SEARCH box at the top), and you would like to be featured (randomly), add yourself to the Free Listings!
Be found on FoundLocally.com AND TransCanadaHighway
Add Free Listing