Okanagan-Shuswap, British Columbia Visitors Tips
Here are some quick suggestions for visitors with limited time in the area: The schedule is only a suggestion -- you may have more fun, or wish to take more time than mentioned below.
Shuswap Lake Image Gallery
One Day Stay
To capture the essence of this city, here are suggestions for your first day (especially if its your only day) in the Okanagan. Starting at the northern end, here are the things you should make an effort to see:
- Sicamous, the narrows that join Shuswap and Mara Lake, home to hundreds of houseboats
- Kalamalka Lake Lookout, just south of Vernon has a great view of this beautiful lake
- Without picking favourites, stop at any of the 20 wineries in the valley. All offer free samples (to those over 19) and many offer tours. The first is Grey Monk, beetween Vernon and Kelowna, and you'll see them every few miles down to the US border.
- Kelowna's City Park, downtown just east of the Floating Bridge offers great waterfront views and a pretty downtown shopping district on Bernard Street.
- Knox Mountain Park, north of downtown on Ellis Street, offers great views up and down the Lake.
- Giant's Head Mountain, just above the town of Summerland, looks like a Giant's Head, and has a road and then a short hiking trail to the top
- Penticton's Okanagan Beach, Main Street shopping district, and Skaha Beach on the south of town are a tight visual feast for visitors. (There are several wineries north of Penticton on the eastern shore of Okanagan Lake.)
- If you have time left, be sure to head down to Osoyoos, just north of the USA border, to see the only true desert in Canada, and a banana tree orchard!
- From here you would catch the Number 3 highway, either heading east through the Crowsnest Pass into Alberta or west through Manning Park into the Lower Mainland.
A Longer Stay
If you are able to spend more time in the area, there are many things to see and do, depending on your interests. Check out all the Okanagan Area Attractions, organized by category or each of the communities.
History of the Trans-Canada Highway from Kamloops to Revelstoke
Thompson River, Shuswap Lake & Lake Okanagan Towns Map
Shuswap lake & Salmon Arm Attractions & Accommodation Map
Okangaan-Shuswap Accommodation & Attractions
Here are a featured SAMPLING of hotels, motels, long-term accommodation, vacation rentals, lodges and campgrounds. For a complete (and searchable listing) use the red SEARCH feature at right.
Accommodations Directory Listings
Here are some of the hotels, motels, campgrounds, and lodges/cottages to be found along the Trans Canada Highway:
Quiet location with panoramic views. Executive & honeymoon suites have in-room jacuzzis and fireplaces. Guest laundry, free movies. near downtown, Cariboo College. Pets on approval. Cancellation policy: one day.
Warm hospitality in our air-conditioned home. Enjoy the soothing sound of the water fall in the park like garden.
AAA 3 diamonds, with 38 heated/air-conditioned rooms, queen size beds, located on Trans -Canada Highway. Joey's Only full service r seafood restaurant open 11:00 to 22:00
Situated just across from Skaha Lake and Park where there are numerous water and land activities. Oxbow RV Resort is just minutes from shopping malls and downtown Penticton.
As you wind your way up to your accommodation, don't be surprised to see Quail crossing your path, Stellar Jays and Magpies perched on the pines.
TransCanadaHighway.com has lots of hotels,mnotels, beds & breakfast, long-term accommoodtion, and comprgrounds to choose form in and around Okanagan-Shuswap.
Attractions Directory Listings
Here are some of the attractions, museums, historical sites, and sports activities to be found along the Trans Canada Highway:
Challenging but easy walking course, with 3 water holes and 5 sand traps. At 1597 yards, Aspen Grove Golf Club has excellent length over its 9 holes - surprising for a par 27 layout.
The 26-hectare winery overlooking Vaseaux Lake, has supplying grapes to other wineries since 1971, and produced under its own label since 1991. It produces Pinot Noir, Gamay Noir, Pinot Gris, Pinot Blanc and Chardonnay wines. Wine shop.
our Fraser Valley winery is set in a lush agricultural landscape, surrounded by green vistas and the occasional trot by of an equine explorer.
The Lacarya (pronounced La-car-i-a) Golf Course, which opened its greens and fairways for public play in 1988, is located on the Yellowhead Highway about 8km south of Clearwater. The course is a creation of Stan Saari, who designed and buil
Each bottle of Sandhill wine is made from grapes that come from one of six unique BC vineyards. Each vineyard possesses a unique combination of soil composition, slope, sun exposure and drainage.
TransCanadaHighway.com has lots of attractions, festivals, tours, and things to see & do in and around Okanagan-Shuswap.
If your local area business is not already here or in the FoundLocally.com directory (try the SEARCH box at the top), and you would like to be featured (randomly), add yourself to the Free Listings!
Be found on FoundLocally.com AND TransCanadaHighway
Add Free Listing