Fredericton, New Brunswick Top Attractions on TransCanadaHighway.com
Fredericton's downtown is considered by many (especially Fredericpudlians), 'the Jewel of the majestic St. John River Valley'. Modern skyscrapers intertwine with historic Gothic Revival churches, and heritage homes to create an eclectic community.
Here are the most popular "must-see" attractions in the Fredericton area:
St. Anne Heritage Preservation Area
Fredericton has many beautiful homes, and many Colonial, Victorian and post-Victorian buildings. Maritime builders were very skilled woodworkers and Fredericton is noted for it expressions of wood construction. On a walk through historic Fredericton and the St. Anne Heritage Preservation Area you will see all styles and ranges of architecture, including: Georgian Tradition, Classical Revival, Gothic Revival, and Second Empire, but the classic Fredericton building is the Queen Anne Revival home. Examples of Queen Anne in its permutations are found all over Fredericton, featuring turrets, towers, rounded corners, and the elaborate use of trim, mouldings, and wood cladding. You will also see American Colonial Revival homes built from 1915 on, which were inspired by American period houses of the same vintage. Self-guided walking tour booklets will lead you on an architectural history tour of Fredericton.
Bucket Club Family Activity Park
This activity park offers waterslides, golf driving range, 18-hole mini golf, batting cages, and more. Try Atlantic Canada's only Bankshot Basketball. Relax on the St. John River with a canoe rental, or experience the natural thrill of an interpretive 8-km River Adventure. Sheltered picnic facilities, canteen, picnic tables and barbecue are available.
Corner of Windsor St and Kings College Rd, UNB Campus
A restored one-room New Brunswick schoolhouse, with tours by special arrangement only.
CFB Gagetown Military Museum Oromocto
Building A-5, PO Box 16800 Station Forces Oromocto NB, E2V 4J5
Canadian Forces Base Gagetown is the largest military training base in the British Commonwealth. Its Military Museum displays weapons, uniforms, equipment and memorabilia from the 1800's, the South African War, First and Second World Wars, the Korean Conflict and United Nations Missions. It also features military vehicles on display outdoors. Admission is free. Access to the base is unrestricted, just follow the signs. The Base Gagetown Military Museum is open year round. June - Aug weekdays 8am-4pm. Weekends / Holidays 10am-4 pm. Sept-May weekdays 8:30am-4 pm.
Corner of Queen & York Streets
The Old City Hall, which includes the city offices, council chamber, magistrate's office, jail, farmers market and opera house, was erected on Phoenix Square in 1876. The tower clock's eight-foot dials, copper hands and reliable chimes have kept time ever since. The fountain in front of City Hall was added in 1885.
City Hall's Opera House closed in the 1940's and made way for the Council Chamber on the second floor. In 1952 the Farmers' Market moved to the Boyce Market on George St, leaving the street level for the Police Department and lockup. An addition to the original City Hall and exterior restoration was saome 1975-l977. The History of Fredericton in Tapestries, in honour of Fredericton's 2OOth birthday as Capital of New Brunswick, was created by two local artists - Mrs. Gertrude Duffie and Dr. Ivan H. Crowell, based on Dr. W. Ausfin Squires' book - Fredericton: The last 200 Years was hung in the Council Chamber in 1985. Council Chamber Tours are available mid-May through mid-October, seven days a week, with English on the half hour and French tours on the hour. During the rest of the year, tours may be arranged Monday through Friday between 8:15 am and 4:30 pm, by calling 452-9616.
Intersection of Hanwell Rd & Mazerolle Settlement Road, several km SW of Fredericton
Music venue featuring Grand Ole Opry style of entertainment
Ducks Unlimited Fredericton Conservation Centre
752 Union St, adjacennt to Carleton Park
The Centre's decks offer great views of the wildlife on the Saint John River. The Discovery Room has displays and interactive activities suitable for all ages, and has the world's oldest reptile
Fredericton Lighthouse Museum
bottom of Regent St, on the Green
Next to the Regent St. Wharf, downtown, the 1986 Fredericton Lighthouse is not a Coast Guard light but a working municipal light. Its drum lens is atop a white square wooden tower with an outer staircase in back. It offers a magnificent view of Fredericton tops 15 levels of stories, displays, children's play areas and a gift shop at the lighthouse museum. Public washrooms are located at the back of this building. Admission to the ground level gift shop is free. Admission to the upper levels: Adults: $2, Children: $1 plus HST. Hours: May & June: Mon to Fri, 10am-4pm. Sat & Sun, 12pm-4pm; July & Aug.:open daily 10am-9pm.
Queen Street & York St
In 1827, a 34 x 37 foot Military Hospital was part of old Fredericton Military Compound, and had four six-bed wards constructed in stone. In 1875, the hospital and accessory building were removed, and replaced by the Provincial Normal School, which was destroyed by fire in 1929, but was rebuilt. When a new Teachers' College was built on the University of New Brunswick campus in 1965, the old building served as part of Fredericton High. In 1970, the building was remodelled to house law courts and renamed the Justice Building. Tours are unavailable.
The Justice Building contains three additional points of interest:
- Gallery Connexion, a non-profit artist- run centre showing contemporary and experimental art, may be accessed by entering the door located off the York St. Car Park. Hours are Tues-Fri 12-4pm; Sun 2-4pm Tel:
- Dance Fredericton studios are located within the building and visitors are welcome to observe any of the daily scheduled dance classes. Programs include classical ballet, modem dance, jazz and creative movement.
- School Days Museum contains an eclectic collection of artifacts, archival material, books and furniture used in the public schools, teacher training, and Department of Education in New Brunswick, dating as far back as the early 19th century. Hours: June 1 to August 31 - Monday to Friday l0 am to 4 pm, Saturday and Sunday 1 pm to 4 pm. September 1 to 30 - Monday to Friday 1 pm to 4 pm. October 1 to May 31, by appointment only. 506 459-3738. (see below)
Kings Landing Historical Settlement
Trans Canada Highway Ext 253,
Prince William, NB E6K 3W3
(506) 363-4999 fax: 506-363-4989
Landing is a living history museum only 20 minutes west of Fredericton. The settlement faithfully recreates the sights, sounds and feel of rural New Brunswick in the 1800's with period-costumed residents in 10 homes and 60 other buildings including a working saw mill, grist mill, small theatre, school, church, forge, store, carpenter's shop, cooper's shop, and door and sash factory. Visitors can take a ride in a horse-drawn wagon, stroll in and out of the homes, watch the "locals" working and performing everyday activities and then take a break at the pub and dining room. Kings Landing also features several special events throughout the year including Christmas dinners, throughout the month of December, as well as the "Sugar Bush" weekends, are especially popular. Open June to early October 10 am to 5 pm. Admission Adults $12, Seniors $10, Students over 16 yrs $8,yout 6-16 yrs $6, family $30.. Note: Pets not permitted.
Legislative Assembly of New Brunswick
Queen and St John Streets
The Legislature has been the seat of government in NB since 1882, when it replaced the old Provincial Hall, which was destroyed by fire in 1880. Impressive elements are the Throne or Speaker's Chair, a large self-supporting spiral staircase, Waterford crystal chandeliers, portaits of King George III and Queen Charlotte in the Assembly Chamber, and the large collection of books including the Birds of America by John James Audubon. Free guided tours (allow ½ hour) July & August daily 9:15 am to 7 pm; and the rest of the year: Monday to Friday 9 am to 4 pm
Going to the Birds!
John James Audubon's book, Birds of America recently fetched $8.8 million at Christie's Auction House, the highest amount of money ever paid for a book. Mr. Gowan was the director to the New Brunswick Legislative Library in 1852 when he decided to purchase a copy of this book for the library's collections. He paid 800 pounds at Little & Brown's in Boston for the 5 feet by 3 feet book, which displays life-size portrayals of birds, some of which have since become extinct. The illustrations were made from hand engraved copper plates and coloured by hand in watercolour. The NB Legislative Library is one of only five publicly owned copies of the book in Canada.
Declared a National Heritage Region by the Monuments and Historic Sites Board of Canada, is one of Canada's best examples of a 19th-century industrial town. The sawmill village located on the Nashwaak River became a booming town through the genius of industrialist Alexander "Boss" Gibson. From 1862 until the early 1900's Boss Gibson built and controlled Marysville (named after his wife). He expanded the mill, built a railway, a cotton mill, and several community buildings such as churches and stores. He treated his employees well, often clearing their debts at the company store. He built brick homes for them and charged low rents. Its brick cotton mill and tenements are excellent examples of their type. Grand ornate wooden mansions grace 'Knob Hill' where mill managers lived.
NB Country Music Hall of Fame
Lobby of Victoria Health Centre, Woodstock Rd
Exhibits and photos showcasing New Brunswick's country music stars.
NB Sports Hall of Fame
503 Queen St.
PO Box 6000, Fredericton NB E3B 5H1
(506)453-3747. fax: 506-459-0481
The John Thurston Clark Memorial Building is home of the New Brunswick Sports Hall of Fame dedicated to celebrating New Brunswick's rich sports heritage. Main Gallery features memorabilia, photographs, trophies, equipment and uniforms of famous New Brunswick sports figures. The special exhibits coincide with major sporting events, such as the Olympic Games, and other noteworthy happenings, anniversaries, etc. The second floor houses the permanent gallery, Shrine, and Wall of Honour, highlighting the Hall of Fame's newest inductees. Feature exhibits include speedskating, baseball, hockey, basketball, boxing, horse racing, curling and golf. The 1881 building, originally built as the Post Office and Customs House, is an example of the 19th Century influence of Second Empire French revival style, and was located within the original British Military Compound. Hours: Open year-round. Hours vary by season (allow 1 hour). Tours, special programs and activities are offered throughout the year. Groups welcome. Admission by donation. Cameras permitted.
New Brunswick College of Craft and Design
Next to the Justice Building is the New Brunswick College of Craft and Design.
Established in 1938 for itinerant craft training, this institution has formalized into an internationally recognized post - secondary educational institution. It is unique in Canada, offering both Diploma and Certificate programs in the largest variety of training in craft and design disciplines, with studies in Clay, Metal, Photography, Fabric Surface Design, Textiles, Fashion, Native Arts, and Creative Graphics. Visiting artist workshops held throughout the academic year. Fredericton enjoys the highest per capita number of resident practising crafts people in Canada. From September to June, group tours may be arranged.
Old Arts Building
Bailey Drive, UNB Campus
Oldest university building in Canada, still in operation.
Old Government House
51 Woodstock Road
Built between 1826 and 1828, Old Government House has been renovated and is now the home and official office for New Brunswick's Lieutenant-Governor. The newly restored National and Provincial Historic Site offers free tours, and a hands-on interpretation centre complete with a multimedia show spanning 12,000 years of NB history.
Outdoor Summer Theatre
From Canada Day to Labour Day, the lawn of Officers' Square becomes a stage to the Calithumpians, a local theatre troupe. Free daytime performances are offered 7 days a week, at noon on weekdays and at 2pm on weekends. The repertoire is a humorous interpretation of Fredericton history and current affairs.
A lantern-lit guided tour through historic haunted neighbourhoods with actual hauntings and legends by a phantom theatre troupe. You'll see the ghost of Bishop Medley's wife, the historic dual by two prominent Frederictonians and many more.
The Playhouse was donated to the people of New Brunswick by publishing baron Lord Beaverbrook in 1964,. Five years later it gave rise to the touring company of Theatre New Brunswick.
Provincial Archives of New Brunswick
23 Dineen Drive,
Bonar Law-Bennett Building, UNB Campus
PO Box 6000, Fredericton NB, E3B 5H1
The provincial archives were established in 1967 to discover, collect and preserve records with any bearing on the history of the province. The province's genealogical records are stored here for researchers. Open year-round Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10 am to 5 pm, and Wednesdays and Fridays
School Days Museum
Justice Building Annex, east entrance (next to the Craft College)
This museum contains an eclectic collection of artifacts, archival material, books and furniture used in the public schools (particularly rural one room schools), teacher training, and Department of Education in New Brunswick, dating as far back as the early 1800s. Open June 1 to Aug 31 Mon-Fri 10am-4pm, Sat 1-4pm,closed Sundays; Sept 1-May 31 by appointment only. Free admission.
Science East Science Centre
527 Beaverbrook Court 404, Fredericton, NB E3B1X6
(506) 457-2340 (506) 455-8702 (fax)
A hands-on science centre with over 80 interactive exhibits that make exploring the basic principles of science exciting and fun. Features a giant kaleidoscope, a huge air cannon, laser beam and more. There's also a jail museum with dungeon. Admission Adults: $3, students and seniors $2, Family $7. Hours: June to end Sept Mon-Sat 10 am to 5pm, Sunday 1 pm to 4 pm; October to end May Tues-Fri 12 Noon to 5 pm, Sat 10 am to 5 pm, Closed Sun & Mon.
The Tree House
124 St John Street
This attraction features replicas of circus entertainment, an Enchanted Staircase, educational resource centre and gift shop. The 135 year old house was built in the Carpenter Gothic style, appropriate for an conservation organiztion. Open Sept to May, Mond-Fri from 11 am to 5 pm, and June to August weekedays 11 am to 5 pm, and Saturday from 10 am to 1 pm. Other times by appointment.
This bridge is an old CN Railways bridge, now transformed into a pedestrian bridge connecting north and south Fredericton. The bridge is part of the Trans-Canada Trail system and is 1,905 ft long, which is one of the longest bridged sections of the trail in New Brunswick. The bridge was officially re-opened in 1997, and provides a number of look-outs for panoramic views of the city. On the north side of the bridge is the Ducks Unlimited Conservation Centre.
University of New Brunswick
on a hill overlooking the city, this 1785 institution is one of the oldest universities in Canada. The campus features several historic structures:
Campus guided tours by appointment 506-447-3071. Archives open Mon-Frid 10 am to 5 pm, Sat 8:30 am to 5 pm. Admission free 506-453-2122.
WW Boyce Farmers Market
between Regent & St John Streets, and between Brunswick and George Streets
Fredericton's Farmers Market since 1952, after a bequest of $40,000 from the estate of Walter W Boyce, a local businessman got the construction project underway. This continued the city's agrarian market traditions that predate the 1867 City Hall, which originally housed the market o the ground floor. (that space is now used by the Police Service). Products offered include vegetables, baking, ethnic foods, arts, crafts and flowers at 217 stalls. Every Saturday morning from 6 am to 1 pm.
York-Sunbury Historical Society Museum
Officers' Square, 571Queen St.
PO Box 1312 Fredericton NB E3B 5C8
Inside the one-time Officers' Quarters is now a museum operated by the York-Sunbury Historical Society. Central New Brunswick's local history and military history. Displays cover the First Nations, Acadians, Loyalists, a replica of a World War I trench and much more, and include the famous 42 pound Coleman frog. Summer Hours: July-August 10am-5pm seven days a week. Winter Hours: Closed Jan-March 30; April 1-June 30 Tues-Sat 1-4pm; Sept 1-Dec 20 Tues-Sat 1pm-4pm. Office staff available year-round. Group Tours (French and English) can be arranged in advance. Admission: $1/student, $2/adults, $4/family. Group rates available.