St John's, Newfoundland Top Attractions on

Here are the most popular "must-see" attractions in the St John's area:

Admiralty House Museum and Archives 3 Centennial Street
Mount Pearl, Newfoundland, A1N 1G4
(709) 748-1124, fax: 748-1115
Former British Admiralty Wireless Station, now communications museum. Exhibits on H.M.S. Calypso, Sir James Pearl, Sports Hall of Fame and Short Wave Radio Room. Meeting room or gardens available for rent.
Open year-round; winter hours: Mon-Fri 10 am to 5 pm; summer daily 10 am to 8 pm.

Arts And Culture Centre - St. John's Arts And Culture Centre P.O. Box 1854 (Prince Phillip Rd at Allendale Rd)
St. John's, Newfoundland, A1C 5P9
(709) 729-3904, fax: 729-5952
Built as a Centennial Project, and opened in 1967. This building has five wings joined by a centrl lobby, and houses a 1,000 seat theatre, a 76 seat theatre, three storey art gallery and library. Home to the Newfoundland Symphony Orchestra. The theatre presents performing arts from all disciplines.
Gallery open Tues- Sun noon - 5 pm. Free admission.

Colonial Building Provincial Historic Site Colonial Building This fine white Irish limestone building, constructed in 1850, was the Legislature Building for the Newfoundland Government until 1960. It now houses the Provincial Archives
Tel: 709 729-3065 Fax: 709 729-0578
Address: Military Road St. John's NF A1B 4J6.

Commissariat House Provincial Historic Site
King's Bridge Road, near Gower Street
PO Box 8680, St John's NF, A1B 4J6
(709) 729-6730. Offseason: 709-729-0592 fax: 709-729-0870
Restored to its original 1830s splendour, Commissariat House is a late-Georgian mansion used by the British military force's Assistant Commissary General. It was completed in 1821 and served as offices and living quarters for the Assistant Commissary General and all military installations in the area. Commissariat House was later used as a rectory for St. Thomas Anglican Church and as a nursing home and children's hospital. Now operating as a tearoom, the house is open daily throughout the summer months and contains many period furnishings.
Open mid-June to mid-October, daily 10 am to 5:30 pm,.

Confederation Building
Prince Philip Drive
(709) 729-3630
Opened in 1960 and overlooking historic St. John's, the twelve story east block of this building houses the House of Assembly (provincial legislature) of Newfoundland and Labrador and the offices of most of the departments of government. The six story west block was opened in 1985. Both the building and a small military museum contained within are free. The Confederation Building Complex is closed on weekends and statutory holidays.
When the House of Assembly is not is session, guided tours take place at 9 am, 10:30 am, 2 pm and 3 pm, Monday to Friday.

Court House
Court House Opened in 1901, the Courthouse on Duckworth Street is an impressive Victorian-era stone building made with local granite and sandstone. The stonework was cleaned in 1988 and the neo-Romanesque Courthouse today looks very much as it did in 1901. The so-called Courthouse Steps, which lie adjacent to the Courthouse on its eastern side and provide a pedestrian connection between Water Street and Duckworth Street, are on a site that in the 19th century was a produce market and public gallows. Newfoundland's last public hanging occurred there in January 1835, when John Flood was hung for robbing the St. John's-Portugal Cove stagecoach.
Fluvarium -- Family Underwater Adventure
Fluvarium  in Pippy Park Located in C.A. Pippy Park, at the north end of town Tel (709) 754-3474, Fax (709) 754-5947.
This unique building, on the shores of Long Pond in Pippy Park, shows visitors the secret underwater life of a river, as you look into Nagle's Hill Brook through nine underwater windows and see brown trout in their natural habitat. Fascinating exhibits and live displays of freshwater creatures. Tours by environmental interpreters. The only year-round public fluvarium in North America.
Open daily. July - Labour Day daily 9 am - 6 pm, rest of year Mon-Fri 9 am to 4:30 pm, Sun noon- 4;30 pm. Admission $4, seniors & students with ID $3.25, and children ages 3-14 $2.25. Allow 1-1/2 hours.

Fort Amherst Museum/Tea Room
13 Fort Amherst
Take Southside Road along the southern edge of the harbour.
St. John's, Newfoundland, A1C 5H2
(709) 754-0619
Built by members of Britain's military garrison in St. John's, the first lighthouse in Newfoundland began operating on the edge of the Narrows at the foot of the Southside Hills in 1810. The former lightkeeper's dwelling has been transformed into a museum, photo gallery, tea room and craft shop. The current lighthouse began operating in 1954. Can be booked for private parties, meetings, gatherings, etc. Guided tours of 10 or more.
Open June - Sept noon- 5 pm, July & August from noon to 8 pm

Government House
Government House Military Road , St John's NF, A1C 5W4
(709) 729-4494
Completed in 1831, Government House is one of the city's few architectural treasures to survive the Great Fire of 1892. It is the official residence of the province's Lieutenant Governor. Guided tours available.
Grounds and foyer of Government House are open to the public year-round daily until dusk, unless there are official functions planned that day.

Hawthorne Cottage National Historic Site
Hawthorne Cottage offers a glimpse of the life of Captain Bob Bartlett, Newfoundland's most famous ice navigator. Lovingly restored cottage, period artifacts and grounds are open to the public.
From May 15 - Oct 31
P.O. Box 5542
St. John's, Newfoundland, A1C 5W4
(709) 528-4004, fax: (709) 528-4004

James J. O'mara Pharmacy Museum
488 Water Street (at Apothecary Hall)
St. John's, Newfoundland, A1E 1B3
(709) 753-5877 fax: (709) 753-8615
This 1895 heritage drugstore is a replica of a working apothecary, complete with set of store fixtures, shop bottles & pharmacy implements used in the preparation of medicines (pill makers).
Open Jun 15 - Sep 15 daily 10 am to 5 pm, by appointment rest f the year.

Johnson Geo Centre
The world class Geo - Centre's rock specimens from this remarkable Province, tell the four billion year old geological story of our planet. (Built into the 600 million year Signal Hill Rocks.
From Jan 01 - Dec 31
P.O. Box 12049
St. John's, Newfoundland, A1B 1R7
(709) 737-7743, fax; 737-7885

Lillian Stevenson Nursing Archives & Museum
LA Miller Centre, Forest Road
St. John's, Newfoundland, A1A 1E5
(709) 722-4656, fax: 777-6969
The only combined hospital medical nursing archives/museum in Canada. It has a collection of hospital artifacts from the earlier days of medical and nursing practices in Newfoundland.
From Jan 01 - Dec 31 Thursday s 2 pm to 4 pm

Mallard Cottage
2 Barrows Rd, Quidi Vidi Village,
St John's, NF, A1A 1G8
(709) 576-2266 off-season: 709-895-0118 fax: 709-738-5322
The Mallard Cottage is a Provincial and National Heritage Site in the old settlement of Quidi Vidi. Built in 1750, it is the oldest cottage in North America.
open year round: summer hours are 10 am to 6 pm daily. Winter hours are 10:30 am to 5:30 pm (closed on Tuesdays).

Memorial University Visitors Walk
P.O.Box 12049
95 Elizabeth Ave.
St. John's, Newfoundland, A1B 1R7
(709) 737-1064, fax: 737-1065
This self-directed walking tour of Memorial Campus, Educational Centre for almost 20,000 students and staff. The interesting history of the university is detailed in over 20 history boards.
From Jan 01 - Dec 31

Murray Premises
Murray Premises 5 Beck's Cove, St John's
Mailing: Box 80, 215 Water Street
St. John's, Newfoundland, A1C 6H1
(709) 754-1090, fax: 738-2319
Situated on the harbourfront, it was built in 1846 as an office and warehouse for trade and fishing. It is one of the oldest buildings in St. John's. Restored in 1979.
From Jan 01 - Dec 31

National Research Council Institute For Marine Dynamics
IMD is Canada's national centre for ocean technology research and development. Scale models of ships, submarines and drilling rigs are tested in the world's largest ice tank (90 Meters), an offshore engineering basin, and 200-metre towing tank.
From May 15 - Aug 31
P.O. Box 12093
St. John's, Newfoundland, A1B 3T5
(709) 772-4366, fax; 772-2462

Newfoundland & Labrador Genealogical Society
Colonial Building/MIlitary Rd.
St. John's, Newfoundland, A1C 2C9
(709) 754-9525, fax; 754-9525
Looking for your roots? This is a good place to start. The Society, founded in 1984, provides a wealth of information on sources of information of interest to the researcher.
Open year-round

Newfoundland Family Search
154 Torbay Rd., Bldg. 7A, #401
St. John's, Newfoundland, A1A 2H2
(709) 722-3358
Genealogy: (Family Trees, Ancestors); Reunification: (Relatives, Friends); Family Records: (Births, Marriages, Deaths, etc.); Land and Property: (Wills, Titles, Deeds, Estates); Professional Historical Research.
Open year-round

Newfoundland Historical Society
Colonial Building/Military Road
St. John's, Newfoundland, A1C 2C9
(709) 722-3191, fax; 729-0578
The oldest non-profit heritage organization in the province (1905), promoting knowledge and public discussion of the history and heritage. Small research collection, publications, reference service, free lectures and symposia
Open year-round, Tues & Thurs from 9:30 am to 4;15 pm.

Newfoundland Museum
285 Duckworth St
P.O. Box 8680
St. John's, Newfoundland, A1B 4J6
(709) 729-0917, fax; 729-2179
Main branch of the Provincial Museum. With 3 floors of exhibits including artifacts from 9,000 years of Aboriginal History. Learn about Newfoundland 's fishing families. Close-up view of puffins and other wildlife.
Open year-round 9 am to 9:45 pm (closed Mondays & Statutory holidays), Sundasy 12 noon to 4:45 pm.

Newfoundland Science Centre
P.O. Box 1312
St John's, Newfoundland, A1C 5N5
(709) 754-0823, fax: 738-3276
A hands-on interactive science centre for all ages, with special exhibitions and live demonstrations. Experience science the way it was meant to be... hands-on and fun.
Open Year round, daily from 10:00am-5:00pm Monday-Friday 10:00am-6:00pm Saturday 12:00-6:00 Sunday

Newman Wine Vaults
440 Water Street just west of Springdale Street
P.O. Box 2403
St. John's, Newfoundland, A1C 6E7
(709) 739-7870, (709) 739-1892, fax; 739-5413
The historic Newman Wine Vaults were constructed in the early part of the 19th century to age the world famous Newman's port. One of St. John's oldest buildings is designated a Registered Heritage Structure by the Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland nd Labrador, and is currently being restored with an interpretation space to detail the colourful history of the liquor trade in Newfoundland. Visit the cool, dark recesses of the only surviving intact historic wine vault in the province and explore one of St. John's best-kept secrets.
Open to the public 10 am - 4 pm, Monday to Friday, in July and August of 1999. Admission is with a suggested $2 donation.

Provincial Archives of Newfoundland and Labrador
Colonial Building,Military Rd, St John's
Mailing: P.O. Box 8680
St. John's, Newfoundland, A1B 4J6
(709) 729-3065, fax; 729-0578, toll-free: 1-800-563-6353
Archives open ot public, with exhibits including the equipment Guglielmo Marconi used on Signal Hill returns to Newfoundland. With all the original artifacts and dozens of documents on loan from the Marconi plc corporate archives, the Provincial Archives of Newfoundland & Labrador presents an exhibit that tells how the young Italian inventor brought in the first transatlantic wireless signal.
Open year-round Mon-Fri 9 am to 4;15 pm, Wed evenings from 6:30 pm to 9:45 pm.

Provincial War Memorial
Provincial War Memorial Between Duckworth Street and Water Street
Newfoundland & Labrador's tribute to the war dead is situated at Queen's Beach where Sir Humphrey Gilbert took possession of the island in 1583. The memorial was unveiled on July 1, 1924 by Field Marshall Earl Haig, exactly eight years after the Newfoundland Regiment was decimated at Beaumont Hamel, France, during the Battle of the Somme. Its bronze figures represent Liberty, the Merchant Marine, the Army, the Navy and the Forestry Corps.
Open year-round

Quidi Vidi Battery Provincial Historic Site
Overlooking Quidi Vidi Village ("Kiddie Viddie")
PO Box 8680, St John's NF, A1B 4J6
(709) 729-2977 off-season 709-729-0592 fax: 709-729-0870
Constructed in 1762 by the French following their capture of St John's, and rebuilt by the British in 1780 who maintained it until 1870. The Quidi Vidi Battery prevented enemy ships from landing soldiers for an assault on St. John's, and is restored to its 1812 appearance and manned by uniformed guides.
Open mid-June to mid-October daily 10 am to 5:30 pm, by appointment remainder of year. Admission $2.50, under 12 free.

Quidi Vidi Village
Quidi Vidi Gut Quidi Vidi Village, a 17th century fishing village, lies within city limits at the base of Signal Hill. The village's small chapel, Christ Church, was built in 1842.

Railway - Coastal Museum
In this magnificent heritage building this museum relates the 100 year history of the Newfoundland Railway and Coastal Boat service. Also houses city of St. John's Archives/Tourist Information.
From Jan 01 - Dec 31
P.O.Box 12049
St. John's, Newfoundland, A1B 1R7
(709) 737-1503, fax; 737-1065

Royal Newfoundland Regiment Museum
45 Smithville Crescent
Mailing: P.O. Box 5785, St. John's, NL A1C 5X3
709-722-9034, fax: 709-722-9035
Regimental museum & archives with a limited collection of special interest to Royal Newfoundland Regiment historians and former family members with direct regimental ties. Call for hours.
From Jan 01 - Dec 31

Signal Hill National Historic Site
Signal Hill National Historic Site Signal Hill Road
P.O. Box 1268
St. John's, Newfoundland, A1C 5M9
(709) 772-5367, fax; 772-6302
A spectacular view of St. John's, steeped in history. Marconi received the first trans-atlantic wireless signal here in 1901. Interpretation Centre at Signal Hill features an audiovisual presentation on the history of Newfoundland. There is an admission fee to view the exhibit in the Visitor Centre. See cadets perform a 19th-century reenactment, in July and August each Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday at 3 pm and 7 pm, weather permitting.
Visitor Centre open year-round daily 8:30 am to 4:30 pm; mid-June to Labour Day 8:30 am to 8 pm. Admission fee. Cabot Tower & Gift shop open daily 9 am to 5 pm; mid-June to Labour Day 8:30 am to 9pm.

St. John's City Hall
City Hall 10 New Gower Street
P.O. Box 908, St. John's, NL, A1C 5M2
(709) 576-8600
Opened in 1970, St. John's City Hall is built into a steep slope on the north side of New Gower Street and is connected via a skywalk to an annex on the south side of the street. The municipal buildings contain many interesting local artifacts and works of art, as well as the council chambers, administrative offices, a tourist information office and archives. In front of City Hall is a sign stating that the spot is "Mile/Kilometre 0" of the Trans Canada Highway and declaring that "Canada Begins Right Here". For tourist information call (709) 576-8106.

The United States Armed Forces Monument
Located on the former Pepperrell Air Force Base property on the north bank of Quidi Vidi Lake, the monument pays tribute to the more than 100,000 U.S. service men and women who were stationed in Newfoundland, And Labrador from 1940 to 1990.

Harbour Drive, which skirts the northern bank of St. John's Harbour, provides a wonderful view of the ships from all over the world that tie up to the wharf and of the often feverish activity that accompanies them. The wharf is as lengthy as Harbour Drive and it is possible to walk to the edge for close-up views of the vessels. Four rest areas along the Marginal Wharf, with interpretation panels about the harbour's history, provide pleasant, safe space to sit and relax. Several boat tours depart from sites along the waterfront.

Community Map

Blue = Main #1 Trans-Canada route, Green = alternate #2 route
St John's Search  Click to expand this menu

St John's Info & Links  Click to expand this menu