St Peter's, Nova Scotia Trans-Canada Highway information
This community was named San Pedro by its Portuguese founders, was a fishing base in 1521-27. In the 1600s Nicholas Denys developed the fishing grounds and timber resources with a fur trading post and fort. The town was renamed St Pierre and Port Toulouse under the French, until the British plundered it in 1745. The fort was rebuilt, along with a road to Fort Louisbourg, which fell in 1758 and the area fell into British hands. The town was \renamed St Peter's and the British built Fort Granville in 1792 (its ramparts are still visible at Battery Provincial Park).
FoundLocally's Business listings for St Peter's
Nicolas Denys Museum
46 Denys St, St. Peters
Overlooking the St Peter's Canal, with a collection of local historical materials housed in a French-styled building inspired by the trading post established here in 1650 by Nicolas Denys of Tours. Daily 9am-5pm
Rates: Admission adults 50¢, children 25¢ (school groups free). Special rates for bus tours
Open: June 1 to Sept 30 daily 9 - 5.