Atikokan, Ontario on the Trans-Canada Highway
Atikokan got its name from the Atikokan River, named for the Ojibway word meaning "caribou bones".
The town was orginally a divisional point of the Candian National Railway, between Thunder Bay
and Fort Frances and was named in 1899.
Between 1944 and 1980 the town was home to two iron mines and over the years 22,000 miners
and office workers came and went, with Atikokan's population peaking at 7,800.
Now the the 4,000 resident town relies on the thriving forest industry, the hydrothermal generating plant and tourism. Besides the wilderness, Atikokan supplies various recreational activities as well as historic/cultural sites. Next to the town is Quetico Provincial Park, often referred to as "a canoeist's paradise". Other attractions are Mount Fairweather Ski Hill and the Atikokan Centennial Museum.
FoundLocally's Business listings for Atikokan
Atikokan Centennial Museum & Historical Park
204 E. Main St. & Legion Point.
Many local history exhibits with displays of mining and lumbering tools. The Park is located across the river containing a restored logging train and log cabin. Opened May-Oct; Mon-Fri; 9-5;
Atikokan Mining Attraction
P.O. Box 1298Atikokan, Ontario P0T 1C0
See the remains of the mines that closed over 15 years ago. The Atikokan Mine has lived on by developing displays in the community and at the mine sites. There are viewing stations where you can realize the magnitude of the operations.
Trails to accommodate all skiing levels, with a 70 metre vertical and dozens of trails.
Quetico Provincial Park
44km east of Atikokan
This 4,655 swaure kilometres park offers over 1,500 km of interconnnected canoe routes, many Indian pictographs which makeup one of the largest groups of rock paintings in North America, and trail hiking.