Collingwood is a deep water port on the southern shore of Georgian Bay,in the area known as the Georgian Triangle. It is 104 kilometers (65 miles) north of Toronto viaHighway 400 and Highway 26.
Collingwood was named after Lord Collingwood, second in command at the Battle of Trafalgar.
3rd Street Historic Homes
Third Street is the "Fifth Avenue of the Town" which you can view bywalking toward the east, you'll pass by:
"Tornaveen" (1893), #200 Oak Street on the corner, now the Collingwood Ski Academy,
Blue Mountain Road. RR#3
In the winter as popular ski destination. In summer take the gondola, or enjoy the tube rides, children's water play areas, children's dry playground, golf, climbing walls and Euro Bungee.
Blue Mountain Go-Karts
Hwy. 26 between Collingwood & Wasaga Beach
P.O. Box 367, L9Y 3Z7.
A family entertainment centre, go karts, mini karts, mini golf, arcade, games room, snack bar, batting cages.
Bygone Days Museum & Heritage Village
879 6th Street, Collingwood.
Tour 29 Historical buildings with over 23,000 artifacts to step back in time. Tours daily 10am-5pm seven days a week.
Collingwood & District Historical Society Walk
The Collingwood & District Historical Society was formed to provide a forum for people interested in the history of the area. Meetings are held about six times a year, with speakers on subjects of local historical interest. They run a bi-annual tour of historical homes as a major fundraiser. You could also take a self-guided walking tour of the town's historical buildings. Info at the Collingwood Museum.
Collingwood Farmers' Market
Second and Pine St. Parking Lot, downtown Collingwood.
Saturdays 8:30 am to 12:30 pm, from Victoria Weekend to Thanksgiving May to October Administered by the Collingwood Economic Development
Collingwood Museum (formerly the Huron Innstitute)
Memorial Park, 45 St. Paul Street
Box 556, Collingwood, Ontario, L9Y 4B2
705-445-4811 Fax: 705-445-9004
The award winning Collingwood Museum explores the history of Collingwood, reviewing 150 years of marine heritage. Ship Sidelaunch every 15 Minutes. Exhibits, Special Events, Education Programmes, Museum Store, Archives and Research Facilities. Changing exhibits throughout the year.
Collingwood Scenic Caves Nature Preserve
P.O. Box 215,
Collingwood, Ontario L9Y 3Z5
705-446-0256 Fax: 705-446-3064
Deep inside Blue Mountain you can explore a labyrinth of caves & crevices, including a year-round ice cave,. Aboveground, step to the edge of the limestone cliff of the Niagara Escarpment to look down on 10,000 square kilometres of beautiful countryside and scenic Georgian Bay. Cross the suspension bridge 300 meters above the ground overlooking Georgian Bay, and hike the trails of a unique nature reserve featuring a canopy of trees, wildflowers, and rare ferns.
There is also a children's playground/mini golf, gift shop, and snack bar in summer activitie (early May to late October) and the Scenic Caves Nordic Centre operating in the winter months.
As the original "northern terminus" of the railroad connecting Toronto & Lake Ontario to the Upper Great Lakes, Collingwood was an important shipping port where valuable cargos were loaded. Passenger vessels also visited Collingwood harbour and there are many famous stories of some maritime tragedies. During the Reil Rebellion in 1873, the Northwest Mounted Police battalion sent to quell the disturbance left from Collingwood Harbour in 1873, commemorated by a memorial cairn part way along the spit road.
Collingwood Skiff or Watt's Skiff
This skiff was built here in the 1860's by William Watt and his family, who's Collingwood boat building business operated for over 135 years. The skiff is a two-ended sailing ship was widely-used and prized by fishermen for its stability in the rough and unpredictable waters of Georgian Bay. (There's a fascinating book about the Watt's Skiff at the Collingwood Museum). The original Watt's Skiff was donated to the Collingwood Museum, but a recently-built replica (in 1999) is used in the waters around Collingwood to train young sailors.
Creemore Farmers' Market
The Station on the Green, Caroline Street East in Creemore (SE of Collingwood)
Administered by: Vendors Association. Saturdays from 8:30 am to 12:30 pm from May 17 to October 9
Creemore Springs Brewery
39 Mill Street
Creemore, Ontario L0M 1G0
(about 16 km south of Collingwood)
705-466-2240, 1-800-267-2240, Fax: 705-466-3306
Take an online tour of the brewery to find out about upcoming events. If you're already one of the thousands who are proud to say Creemore is their favourite beer, they'd also love to see you in person. While technically a craft brewery, it has been a subsidiary of Molson Coors Canada since 2005.
Flying Aviation Museum
Collingwood Municipal Airport
705 445 7545
Aviation Museum at this fly-in airport has static air displays open to the public. Workshop operates Thurdays all year round, and the Museum is open July & August, Wednesday to Sunday, 9 am til 4 pm. No Charge. Run by the Collingwood Classic Aircraft Foundation.
Great Northern Exhibition
Held the third week each September. Fall Fair, Midway/Rides, Games/Prizes, Food, Shows Crafts & More.
This park, with the backdrop of the Collingwood Terminals, was created in 2000 with beautifully landscaped walkways and gardens to become one of the most beautiful areas in the community. This once active shipping/grain storage area has huge white columns rising from the once wasteland "spit area". This is a great sport to watch the ever-changing grandeur and scenic beauty of Georgian Bay as you drive or walk by the Park. Sit on benches to reflec or watch the sailboats as they make their way out of historic Collingwood Harbour.
The Collingwood Millennium Overlook Park is located at the most northerly point of the historic Collingwood Harbour at "land's end". See the panorama of Georgian Bay and the Niagara Escarpment to the west. Georgian Bay, which is the eastern arm of Lake Huron, was named "La Mer Douce" by Champlain in 1615 on his first visit, sonsidering it is 120 miles long and 50 miles wide. The Niagara Escarpment was declared as a World Biosphere Reserve, an internationally recognized ecosystem..
Murals "Side Launch"
Murals of Collingwood's historical highlights are springing up in the Town and none is more dramatic than the Side Launch mural, painted by John Hood and his sister Alexandra Hood, depicting the practice of launching ships in Collingwood.
11-22nd Street North, Wasaga Beach, Ontario L9Z 2V9
705-429-2728 (Nancy Island) or 705-429-2516 (Office)
The Nancy was a private cargo Schooner which sailed on the Upper Great Lakes. During the war of 1812, the Nancy was pressed into service as a British supply ship and was sunk by American Forces in the Nottawasaga River. The sunken hull of the Nancy obstructed the river to form a silt island, and the hull was rediscovered in 1911 and recovered in 1928. The remains of the hull now rest in a museum on the island to mark the site of the Nancy's demise and to commemorate her gallant defense. The Nancy Museum commemorate this episode in the war of 1812.
Late May to mid June: weekends 10 a.m.- 6 p.m.; weekdays for group reservations only; Mid-June to Labour Day: open daily 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.; Labour Day toThanksgiving: weekends 11 a.m.- 5 p.m. & weekdays for group reservations only. Operating dates and hours are subject to change.
The lighthouse went into service in 1858, one of the six so-called "Imperial Towers" around the Georgian Bay. The Imperial Towers are double-walled, and there is a "dead" air space between the outer and inner walls. The cracking you see is only in the outer wall, and the tower's white dolomite limestone exterior was recently stabilized. . The lighthouse is 94 feet tall and protected Georgian Bay shipping for 124 years before it was decommissioned in 2003, but the solar-powered light continued to shine on its own.
Stroll along memorial walkway to see plaques remembering the many shipyard workers building the huge Great Lakes grain carriers. Their work is remembered by their families and other donors who have purchased memorial plaques with the names of the ships they worked on. The famous Collingwood Shipyards ceased operation in 1986, after 100 years of operation.
Sheffield Black Cultural Museum
Highway 26, approximately 2 miles west of Collingwood
P.O. Box 265. Long Point Road
Collingwood, Ontario L9Y 3Z5
Many Model ship, photographs, and artifacts are on display about early families who lived in the Collingwood Area. Two large boulders are insrbied, one is with the names of early Black Pioneer families and descendents, and the other is inscribed with the names of the men and women who sailed the Great Lakes to broaden the development of Collingwood. Guided tours available. Open May to October. (After Oct. by appointment). Hours Tues.- Sun. 1:00 - 6:00 p.m. Museum by donation.