The first Nations long ago discovered the shortest route between Lake Ontario and Lake Simcoe was to go from "Toronto Carrying Place" up the Humber River, portage across the Oak Ridges Moraine and then head down the Holland River. This route was followed (in north to south direction) by Samuel de Champlain in 1615. King Township was created in 1794 and named for John King, the British undersecretary of state. The first European settlers were United Empire Loyalists expelled from the newly formed United States of America, including peace-loving Pennsylvania Quakers who clustered around Lloydtown and Schomberg. Early settlements grew along area streams for the water and for the power provided to grist and lumber mills that converted locally-grown grain into flour and cut lumber for construction. Mills were located at Lloydtown, Glenville, Laskay, Kettleby, and Schomberg, and by the 1870s the township's population had grown to over 3,000. By that agriculture was more important than the mills, and the community had a stable population for many years until the post-WWII population boom.
Country Apple Orchard Farm
3105 16th Sideroad Side Road West, King City,
(west off Jane)
500 tree farm, producing apples since 1985. U-pick from the dwarf trees from mid AugustAlso available honey, pumpkins, apple pies, apple cider Open Mid August-October 10am-5pm. Closed Mondays, except on holiday Mondays. Guided school tours during summer and fall harvest include orchard growing & harvesting techniques, apple variety sampling and observing bee’s role in pollination.
5645 King Rd., Nobleton, L0G 1N0
905-859-5464 Fax: 905-859-7531
King Brewery, opened in 2002, is an award winning brewer of lagers, using the finest imported European ingredients. This traditional German-style brewery won Toronto Star’s "Beer of the Year" for its Czech style Pilsner and our German Dark Lager. Tour the state of the art Brewery and shop in the gift shop.
King Township Museum
2920 King Road, King City, L7B 1L6
The King Township Museum is located in the 1861 Kinghorn Schoolhouse, along with 2 other heritage buildings, the 1851 King Christian Church (moved here in 1984) and the King Railway Station, the oldest surviving station in Ontario. The museum was dedicated to local residents determined to preserve and celebrate the Township's heritage. Open year-round, Tues-Fri 10 am-4 pm
Pine Farm Orchard & Fruit Winery
2700 16th Sideroad Side Road, King, L7B 1A3
Visit this apple orchard in the gentle rolling hills of King township. Gift shop is always brimming with unique items to treat yourself or someone you love. Enjoy a warm lunch and sample some of our outstanding fruit wines. York Region Farm Fresh Member Mid August to December 31, Tues-Fri 9:30-5 pm Saturdays & Sundays 9-5 Open holiday Mondays.
Call 905-939-7036 or 1-800-621-9177
16540 11th Concession, Schomberg, ON, L0G 1T0
Hwy. 400 North to Hwy. 9, west past Hwy. 27 to King Concession. 11, then south for 1 ½ mile.
Located on the Oak Ridges Moraine, a 12,000 year-old glacial feature, Puck's hosts over 20,000 elementary students a year, and serves as a memorable site for your "wedding on a wagon" and private or corporate hayrides. Group tours $9 per person (1 adult per 8 kids admitted free). Pets not allows.
Silani Sweet Cheese Ltd.
905-939-2561 Fax: 905-939-2011
RR 1, Schomberg, L0G 1T0
Silani, mkers of over 200 exquisite cheese products since 1954, is proudly owned and operated by three grandsons of the original founders and is steeped in family honour and valued traditions. Factory outlet store.