Nipigon, Ontario on TransCanadaHighway.com
Nipigon is located along the west side of the Nipigon River running between Lake Nipigon and Lake Superior, and just south of Lake Helen.
Lake Nipigon is located approximately 25 kilometres (16 mi) north of Nipigon, and there are three hydro-power dams along the Nipgon River, which supply power to nearby Thunder Bay.
The chief industries in Nipigon are forest products, fishing, and tourism. In 2007 a large fire consumed the local lumber mill, putting 100 people out of work.
Nipigon's Historical Walking Tour
Take a walk through time amobng the town's old buildings. Tour length is a relaxing 2.6 kilometres.
Nipigon River Recreational Trail
This 8.2 km hiking trail connects the Nipigon and Red Rock marinas, takes between 2 ½ to 3 hours to complete. Great in summer, fall or winter.
The Nipigon Murals
Come visit the famous Nipigon Murals "Racing the Train:", "Fifty Years of Service" and "The Last River Drive" painted by Dan Sawatsky, a professional artist for over 20 years.
Orient Bay Rock/Ice Climbing
Just forty kilometers north of Nipigon on Highway 11 there are some majestic rock faces and amazing opportunities for ice climbing in the winter time.
The port of Nipigon is the most Northerly freshwater port in North America. With a deep water channel all the way to the fully serviced marina, boaters are invited to cross the 49th parallel and receive their certificate commemorating the occasion.
St. Sylvester Catholic Church
Red Rock Indian Band
The oldest church in the Nipigon Area. It was built in 1877 and mass is still celebrated at this historic site. The Church is owned by the people of Red Rock Indian Band and is located along Highway 11 travelling North to Greenstone
Hydro Electric Generating Stations
In 1917 the towns of Port Arthur and Fort William (now Thunder Bay), had each unanimously passed a by-law enacting an agreement with the Hydro-Electric Power Commission of Ontario to develop additional power sources on the Nipigon River for the twin cities