History of the Trans-Canada #17 Thunder Bay to Fort Frances & Kenora, Ontario
Atikokan highway (from Fort William) opens for traffic, providing access to mining, lumbering and tourist areas.
In 1924, Atikokan highway (from Fort William) opens for traffic, providing access to mining, lumbering and tourist areas. The original routing of Highway 17 travelled into Port Arthur along the Dawson Road, now Highway 102.
Front Fort Frences/International Falls thre is a road norrthwards along the eastern edge of Lake of The Woods, that connects to the main Trans-Canada at Kenora
The Longest Street in the World
The route west from Thunder Bay is a continuation of Highway 11, also known as Yonge Street which begins at the waterfront in Toronto, and continues noth to North Bay, continues as the northern routeof the Trans-Canada Highway to Nipigon. Betwen Nipigon #11 and #17 share the same road,, but when the road ends in International Falls, it marks the end of the "longest street in the world", over 1,896 kilometres (1,178 mi) long. However, because No segment of the highway anywhere north of Barrie ever actually bore the name, the Guinness Book of World Records stopped recognizing this claim after 1999.
More Trans-Canada Highway History← West
← Prev TCH Provincial History ↑ East →
Trans-Canada Highway Itinerary Map
Use mouse to drag/move map. Click on "+" or "-" to zoom in or out. "Satellite" combines map & photo.