Charlottetown, PEI Visitor Tips on TransCanadaHighway.com
Today, you can follow in Montgomery's footsteps:
- Visiting the charming little home in New London that was her birthplace displaying her wedding dress and personal scrapbooks.
- Continue on until you come to the Lucy Maud Montgomery Heritage Museum in Park Corner. Visit with the Montgomerys, relatives of the author and see many artifacts from Montgomery's time spent at this home.
- Here also, create your own "Anne" memorabilia with Ribbons and Roses - The Anne of Green Gables "Treasury Experience".
- As well in the Park Corner area visit the Anne of Green Gables Museum at Silver Bush where you will find artifacts from L.M. Montgomery's time spent with at this home of her relatives, the Campbells. Allow time for tea and shopping while on this property at the Shining Waters Craft Shop & Tea Room, which also offers special wedding packages arranged in the parlour where L.M. Montgomery herself was married.
- Here also, you can enjoy Matthew's Carriage ride around the Silver Bush property, down by the Lake of Shining Waters or overlooking pastoral farmland on the way to a beach.
- At Gateway Village in Borden-Carleton you can fulfill a lifelong urge to have long red braids, as Cavendish Figurines invites you to have your photo taken while dressed as Anne.
- In Lower Bedeque visit the Lower Bedeque Schoolhouse where L.M. Montgomery taught school. Look around at the old furnishings, books and written materials.
- And in Bideford the local community has restored the Parsonage and opened it as a museum. Montgomery lived there in the late 1800s and the site is also a fund of information on the lifestyle of the era and the Island's shipbuilding industry.
Finish your tour in Charlottetown, spending the day touring the craft and gift shops looking for the perfect Anne memorabilia. (Watch for the tags that confirm the product has been officially authorized by the Anne of Green Gables Licensing Authority.)
- The Anne of Green Gables Store probably has a complete selection of Anne-related goods
- Right next door you will find the Anne Chocolates store, and next door to that you can join "Anne and her friends" for tea, as they present a "concert to raise funds for the African mission."
- Purchase tickets to Anne of Green Gables - the Musical (TM). Canada's longest running family musical is presenting its 38th season at
the Confederation Centre of the Arts, and the show never fails to draw large and appreciative audiences from mid-June to mid-September.
Best Anne Buys:
- Straw Hat with braids already attached
- A Bend in the Road CD-ROM
- Raspberry Cordial
- Anne of Green Gables Society Memberships
- Anne Chocolates
- Matinee tickets to Anne of Green Gables - the Musical(TM)
- Paperback set of the first three Anne books
- Anne dolls as licensed by the Anne of Green Gables Authority