Kamouraskam, which is the Algonqian phrase for”Where the rushes grows on the edge of the water” is ranked one of he most beautiful villages in Quebec. It has a rich architectural history and heritage set in a serene landscape. The first settlers arrived here in 1692. The former heart of the village, now known as Berceau de Kamouraska (Kamouraska Cradle), was the location of the first 1709 church, still marked by a cemetery and open-air chapel. The village has moved two kilometres west since. For many years, the village was the easternmost trading post of the south shore, which is marked by rocky cliffs. About six kilometres south of highway 132 is the summit of Coton Mountain in Saint-Pascal (along with the Côte des chats in Saint-Pacôme) with its panoramic view of farmers’ fields, the town, river and mountains.

You can reach Kamouraska from highway Jean-Lesage #20 taking Exit 465 or take the coastal Highway 132 which goes right through town.

The area is the centre of the St Lawrence eel fishery, caught each autumn tide with nets hung over metres-high wooden stakes near the shoreline. To learn more about the methods and the tradition, visit Madame Gertrude Madore, the first woman getting a commercial fishing permit, at the Site d’interprétation de l’anguille (Eel information centre) in the village centre. You can sample some smoked fish at the Site d’interprétation de l’anguille, the Lauzier fishmarket, or at Ouellet Fisheries

When you look at the Kamouraska archipelago, and the nearby Îles Pèlerins islands to the east, you can easily appreciate the immensity of the St. Lawrence River against the distant backdrop of the Laurentian Mountains to the north. The low tide retreats quite far from the shoreline making it possible to travel to some of the Kamouraska islands on foot (be sure to consult the tide tables so you aren’t caught off guard by the fast incoming tide)!

The town’s traditional homes are decorated in dormer windows and arched dripstones that line Avenue Morel. The former 1888 Kamouraska courthouse (111, avenue Morel) is now an arts and historical centre. The 1754 Lebel-Langlois house is a few kilometres to the west. The seigneurial domaine of Taché House leans comfortably against the Taché Cape, just off of highway 132, a few hundred metres from the village exit. An 1851 convent now houses the Musée d’histoire, d’ethnologie et de traditions populaires (the Museum of History, Ethnology and Popular Culture. See sculptures by local artist Alain Dionne “le Semeur” and “Là-bas sur l’île” on route 132 west of the village and along avenue LeBlanc


Museum of Kamouraska

69, avenue Morel (place de l’Église), Kamouraska, Quebec, G0L 1M0
(418) 492-9783 Off season: (418) 492-3144 Fax: (418) 492-3144 Off-season: (418) 492-3144

A museum of history and ethnology, showcasing Kamouraska area geology & landscapes and the areas 325 years of history. Guided tours: French, English Open year-round, mid-may to late June: Mon-Fri 9 am to 4:30 om, Sat-Sun 1 pm to 4:30 pm; late June – Sept daily 9 am to 5 pm, Sept-Dec Tue-Fri 9 am to 4:30 pm and Sat-Sun 1 pm to 4;30 pm; and by appointment January – April (low season): Admission.

Ancien Palais de Justice & Centre d’art et d’histoire (Old Law courts Arts & History Centre)

111, Avenue Morel, Kamouraska (Quebec), G0L 1M0
(418) 492-9458 Fax: (418) 492-6523

The 1888 Old Law Courts formerly housed the registry office and the county court, was classified as a historic building by the municipality in 1992, and restored in 1996. The permanent exhibit recalls the history of the legal institutions and the evolution of the territorial development of Kamouraska. Guided tours in French, English, Exhibits in French. Open daily from end of June – start of September from 9 am to noon and 1 pm to 4 pm. Admission.

Domaine Seigneurial Tache

4, avenue Morel (route du Cap-Taché), Kamouraska, Québec
(avenues Morel et LeBlanc and at the end of rue Saint-Louis)

The manor built by the Tache family, which acquired this seigneury in 1790. In 1839, the young seigneur was killed by a friend, who plotted with his wife to run off together after the murder. Open mid-June to early Sept 9 am to 4 pm. Admission $2.50.
Self-guided Walking tour with explanatory boards

Site d’interprétation de l’anguille (Eel Fishery Centre)

 205, av. Morel, Kamouraska, Québec, Canada, G0L 1M0
418 492-3935

Tours of the Kamouraska eel fishing industry, which catches 78% of lower St Lawrence eels formSeptember to October. Open mid-may to mid-Oct daily 9 am to 6 pm. Admission.

Berceau de Kamouraska (Cradle of Kamouraska)

Rte 132, Kamouraska, Quebec G0L 1M0
(route 132, about 2 kilomètres east of the village)
(418) 492-6523

Historical site with open air chapel and cemetery, marking the town’s original church and town centre.

Musée agricole Le Fournil

7, route de Kamouraska
upon reservation


Société d’écologie des battures de St André de Kamouraska (SEBKA)

Kayak in the islands, climbing on the monadnocks (special local cliffs), ecological trail on the strand. Ecological trail on the beach

Kamouraska, Quebec Area Map